Thursday, January 14, 2010

An Exciting New Year

Well its back into it for a new year. 2010 already! Where did that decade go?

It was quite a long break over December and I'm all nice and refreshed. Clients are just starting to get back into work mode so we should see some things ramp up. My Delphi work continues to pay the bills. I've been working for a client adding functionality to a shed design system. Quite a bit different from retail. Lots of number crunching and engineering. Makes for a nice change!

There are some other projects in the pipeline which I should be able to blog about soon. We are aiming to launch a new system in late February. This is a mixed Silverlight/ ASP.NET MVC project I have been working on over the last few months (as time permits). It should be quite exciting as we believe its got some good potential. I've quite enjoyed working with these newer technologies. Silverlight took some getting used to and I had to pull a framework together for it, but I've got a system I am pretty happy to put my name to. If it works out as expected, there will also be some iPhone integration added later on, which will add more value to the system.

There is also another Silverlight/iPhone project I am working on. This one is early days but there seems to be some interest in it. If we can translate that into some funding, work will start on it soon.

Speaking of iPhone, I'm looking to change from Objective C to Monotouch. I've found Objective C to be ok to work with (although memory management is a bit of a pain). As a techie its always nice to learn new stuff. So why change? Monotouch provides a C# programming model for iPhones. What it means is I can consolidate the languages I'm using at the moment to Delphi and C#. I also get nice things like memory management and Linq and I can share business logic/ code across my iPhone/Silverlight/ASP.NET apps. Cool!

Looking forward to a big 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment